Re: PTO run Generators

Well, generally the PTO speed depends greatly on where it is taken off of
the drivetrain.  it is usually measured in a percentage of the engine RPM,
(eg. 125% of engine speed).

Unfortunately, i dont know exactly what the PTO would put out on IH
transmissions.  I believe the Tranny mounted PTO's are usually set up for
about 123% of engine speed, and are not dependent on the gear
selection...they run whether you are in neutral or not....

The Transfer case mounted pto speed, when run with the transmission in 4th
(5th, whatever) should be about the same...it will depend alot on the type
of pto used and which gear it takes its power from.  The transfer case Ptos
speed can be adjusted somewhat by selecting different gears in the
transmission.  The main transmission MUST be in gear for this style.

For a generating system, a transmission PTO would probably work better and
be more practical than the other style...BEST would be some kind of front
mount PTO like on a concrete mixer, but you would have to find a way to
make a hole that goes through the rad to allow a flange-mounted shaft to
pass through it to the front bumper-mounted pto...heheh..that would be a
continuous type setup, although heavy trucks usually have some kind of
air-shift disconnect that is internal to the Pto unit...