Re: Still need questions answered

Paul:

> since I have to go with new rotors and calipers anyway, can/should I
> switch to some cheaper or more readily available,

IHC Scout II rotors are readily available AND cheap.  $39 apiece from "No
Excuses" in New Jersey.  Several folks have mentioned this source.  Full
particulars are on The Bulletin web site - Vendor page.

>  Are Scout calipers available new?

Last time I purchased rebuilt calipers from my local "Big A" auto parts
store they were $13 each, and about a $5 core charge.  At that low a price,
it's not ewven worth my time to try to rebuild them myself.  Rebuild kits
alone cost nearly that much.

> What gear ratio would
> you go with if you were going to go with 31s and run it to and on trails?
> This truck gets driven A LOT on the road.  It has a 345/727/D20 combo and
> 3.31s now.

3.31's are just about right for a rig with 31's that sees a fair amount of
on-pavement time.  Low enough for decent performance, but reasonable
economy.  You'll be turning about 2300 RPM at 60 mph.  You can experiment
with different axle ratios & tire sizes with the "RPM Wizard" on my site,
located at http://www.binderbulletin.org/techlib/wizards/rpmwiz.asp

Just plug in different numbers & click the button, and engine RPMs will be
calculated for different tire & gear combinations.

> Should a wire go straight to the back of the gauge?
> What gauge wire?  How does it attach to the sender (assuming the answer
> the first question was "yes")?

Re: the oil pressure sender, check out the electrical diagram at:
http://www.binderbulletin.org/images/techlib/engine2.gif

Your sender is circuit #35, and was originally 16 gauge wire from the
factory.  The wire goes from the sender to the corner contact of the
firewall connector.  The corner that you want to wire to is the position
labeled "AA" in the diagram, and is between the wire to the water temp
sender (location "BB") and the wire to the ignition coil (location "FF").
Awfully handy drawings, and they're on the web courtesy of Mike Eppinger.

Bill Thebert