Lockers

>Subject: Locker mistake
>
> Lockers are also hard on components, as there is no
>slippage allowed, whatsover.
>
>Jason I believ this to be an incorrect statement. Lockers do allow slippage
>when one tire goes faster than the other as in a cornering situation. As a
>proud owner of a Lockright I know this to be true.
>

>John Fleck
>Back Country Binders

John and other Binders,
I assumed that Jason was defining slippage in some manner other than John
F. and I would define slippage, because all of us, Jason included, knows
that what John F. is correct. In addition to John's comment, I would add
that a locker, even one as severe as my Detroit Locker can contribute to
axle survival since the torque is always being applied to two axles
rather than just one.

Carrying this to the extreme Chrysler made my trailer towing Grand
Cherokee full-time 4WD, because they didn't want the torque applied to
just one axle. It has limited slip in the rear, but this wasn't adequate
for the engineers to trust that the rear axle(s) could handle the torque
of the very gutty 318.

Bill T.
What is your experience with the long term effect of lockers on wear in
the differentials?
John H.