modulated fan clutches

  Mike
the oil and dirt collection you talk about in your post, is actually the
silicone leaking out of the front of the fan clutch. The fan clutch
actually works be heating up the fluid and enguaging the fan directly to
the hub for the pulley to drive and spin the fan. When too much silicone
leaks out the fan begins to wobble on the shaft and eventually wears out
the front bearing in the waterpump.

Jim

mike wrote......
   When I got the modulated drive out, like Yank(2), I found that the
bimetal spring on the front of the clutch was covered with oil and
packed
with dirt.  I cleaned all of that out because it may affect the
contraction
of the spring.