one wire alt

I recently read a post on the BB Tech Talk that claimed you could make a one
wire alternator out of the standard Delco alternator. All that is necessary is
to connect the #1 (field?) wire to the BAT terminal and the #2 wire can just
be disconnected.

I figured with all the talk about alternators here lately, it would be a good
time to bring it up. Is this possible? Will this cause damage? Is this what
everyone does and I'm the only one that doesn't know about it?

Jeff