Re: Exhaust System

When the truth serum kicked in, scoutnad@domain.elided (Joe Costanzo) blurted
out...

>After spending a few hours beneath my truck today, it has become very
>obvious to me that it's about time to replace the exhaust system.
>Currently, I'm running single exhaust on my 345, but since I've got to do
>it all, I'm thinking about going to the dual system.  Other than the
>partially flattened pipe to sneak past the transfer case, are there any
>other tricks?  How about sources, part numbers, etc?  Is this on anyone's
>web site?

Joe,

Recently I went through lots of trouble trying to source an entire bolt
together dual exhaust system for my 76 Scout II Traveler, and I can assure you
it does *not* exist.  Just about any good auto parts store will have some
listings for the various pieces, but when you start looking into availability,
you'll find many pieces have been discontinued.  To top it off, the pieces
that still are available are expensive in comparison to having a muffler shop
build a new system.  Howard Pletcher and Light Line of Louisiana can get some
of the pieces.

To get a system just like I wanted, I finally wound up buying my own MIG
welding machine, exhaust tubing and mufflers and built it myself from the
manifolds on back.  Not including the cost of the MIG welder, the total cost
for the system was comparable with what some guys on the Digest have had
complete system put in.  If you decide to do it yourself, I can give you some
tips and such, otherwise, it's best to shop around at local muffler shops in
your area for the best deal you can get.

You should not expect to pay much more than about $350.00 for an entirely new
dual system from the manifold on back.  Many have gotten their systems for
considerably less.  Make sure you go with all aluminized tubing and look for a
lifetime parts and *labor* warrantee on everything.  It's common at places
like Midas to only warrantee the muffler... so you still have to pay for the
labor and other parts, should you need replacement.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of weapons is a
Conservative Libertarian      |  sign of retarded sexual
Life Member of the NRA        |  and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                    "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                      to Psychoanalysis"