No Subject

Bryan,

Just a few nights ago I replaced this oil seal in my '79 Scout II.  It was
a simple, straightforward job that goes something like this:

Drain the differential oil (remove cover if you don't have a drain plug).
Remove driveshaft
Remove yoke from pinion shaft.  (I needed a 1-1/8" socket.)
Remove old oil seal - there's probably a more "correct" way to do this, but
I just punched a chisel near the   outer edge of the seal, tapped around
the edges, etc.)
Clean everything, especially the surface where the oil seal seats.
Tap seal into place
Lightly grease the groove on the "back" side of the (clean) yoke (where the
oil seal meets it).
Put yoke & back on.
Clean out residual oil at bottom of pumpkin and gasket surfaces.
Replace differential cover with new gasket, and refill with 90 weight oil.
(No limited slip additive for me  :(   )

Notice I don't have "replace driveshaft" in the list?  I'm taking the
"opportunity" to replace my u-joints.

Hope this helps.

Joe Costanzo
'79 Scout II