Those with 4 cylinders I need some info on jetting

I have a rebuilt single barrel Holley on a 4 cyl rebuilt 4 cylinder
196(rebuilt done 1992; original year made 1971).  The new carb came jetted
with a 70 main jet; the manual reccomends either a 45, 52, or a 53.  I tried
a 52 and it definately does not work.  I tried a 61 jet that I had left over
from a 6 cyl 232 single barrel carb.  There is a slight drop in power from
the 70 main jet, but acceleration is still positive.  I don't think I could
drop any lower though.  I was courious what other 4 cylinder 196 Scout 80's
were using with reference to gas mileage and grade.  With the 70 main jet I
was getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon in the city (Mostly driving up hills in
SF).  It is too soon to tell what the 61 main jet yields.

Thanks for any info

Matt_SF