RE: Clutch Master Cylinder

Roy Wrote:

> OK. Got the clutch slave cylinder rebuilt but during the process of bleeding
> the system, noticed that the master cylinder is leaking a little. I took it
> apart and "flexed" the rubber cups and cleaned it good. It seems to be working
> now, but I'm sure this will be short lived.
> I ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit from NAPA but the piston is different
> from the one in the Scout. I think the master cylinder I have has been
> replaced because it doesn't look like the diagram in the service manual or the
> parts manual. I don't think IH used more than one type on the model 80's.
> I have several choices:
> 1) Try to find a stock MC and rebuild it with the NAPA kit
> 2) Try to rebuild my cylinder with the NAPA kit and hope it works
> 3) Leave it alone and worry about it when it starts to leak again.

> Anyone have a Scout 80 clutch master cylinder they want to sell?

Roy,

I recently had the same dilema with my 65. My clutch master cylinder would leak
fluid all over my left foot everytime I pushed the clutch in. Since the Master
Cylinder looked to be in pretty good shape, I decided to try to rebuild it. I
got the rebuild kit from Napa, but the diameter of the piston and the rubber
gromment that came with it was smaller than that of my MC. My MC looks identical
to the one in the shop manual, but apparently it isn't stock. I took the MC into
Napa, and the parts guy tried to cross reference all the numbers on it without
any luck. I was lucky that day though as the guy was very patient, and searched
all his rebuild kits for one that had the rubber gromment in the same diamater.
I bought the kit that had the right sized gromment, honed out my cylinder and
attached the gromment to the existing piston, and all works fine now. My foot
stays dry, and I don't have to fill the resevoir every weekend.

Be careful buying a used MC sight unseen. I did this, and what I received in
the mail was definately NOT the right part. I only paid $10 for it, so I didn't
bitch to the guy about it...

Good Luck,

John Townley
San Diego, CA