Speedo question

While working on the electric wipers for the 1970 800 A  I seem to have
discombobulated the speedo. Now it jumps from 0 to 40 and to the high peg
upon forward movement. I've taken the short section of the cable out a
couple of times, it all seems ok and I did nothing other than disconnect
and reconnect it anyway.

Thoughts?

How about replacing the two piece cable and the vacuum dohicky in the
middle with a one piece?

TIA

Terry  Rust

"a modern version of the Vietnamese "punji stake" offers a simple means of
closing an unsurfaced road. An angle cut metal  rod driven into the road's
wheel rut will puncture tires......"
From Eco Defense, Edited by Dave Foreman. Copyrite 1985