Scout II newbie needs help (longish)

Hello everyone,
I am new to the digest, and I came into the hands of a 1977 Scout II with a
345 cu.in. about 5 months ago. It was given to me by way of inheritance.
Anyway, it has about 125-150,000 miles on it (I guess...as the speedo had
been disconected for some time). I was also told that the engine was rebuilt
once. My grandfather purchased it in 1978 and I am the second owner. I am by
no means a mechanic, but I am trying to learn. I've ordered the Scout II
shop manual from Book Binders (?), but I haven't received it yet.
O.k. now my delima is this. About 3 weeks ago my fuel pump went out, and I
had a couple of "shade tree" mechanics replace it (they diagnosed it
(correctly or incorrectly) as well). Just last week I was idling in line at
a burger joint and it died on me again. I pushed it out of line myself
(girlfriend was at the wheel) and oh what a job.I disconected the fuel
filter (which seems to be inline between my pump and carb (is this the
correct spot?)), and tried to turn it over but no fuel (well sprinkles) came
out. Now before I venture into replacing the fuel pump again, which is
mechanical by the way, is there anything else I should look for? What is the
cause of all of this? I was told by the shade tree mechanics that the fuel
had some debri in it. The tank is original...so should I replace it? How do
you take off the mechanical fuel pump? I tried for hours underneath the car
to unbolt it with my 9/16ths wrench (and still no luck). Do you have to take
off the whole front end to get to it? I am desperate, and I really would
like to do this job without having to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

Thanks!
-Mack