Re: The saga continues

Jeff Tarquinio wrote:

> Mike,
> I had problems with coils in the past, that's why I replaced it with an Accel Super Coil when I did my "Super tune up" after my initial incident three weeks ago (coming home from NJ).
>   I'm still partial to the lifter theory, I bet it would run ok again if I put it into the garage to warm up a bit.  To be honest I have not touched it yet, since the incident except to start it and listen to it run on 7 cyls.
> ---
> Layda,
> Tark
> '77 Terra 345/T19/D20
>    Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals
> '80 Scout II 345/TF727/single speed tc
>    Clean machine
>
> On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:22:15   Mike Bucher wrote:
> >Have to vote for the coil.
> >
> >Have had similar experience with bad coils.  They run OK until they warm up
> >and then get intermittent.
> >
> >Mike
> >

> Angelfire for your free web-based e-mail. http://www.angelfire.com

Okay, Folks:

I am not sure exactly what problem we are discussing here, but after
writing my "Dear Digest" letter a while back bragging that my Scout was
finally free of its intermittent "rough running," it came back.  I was
driving down the highway the other day, and the engine took on the odd
tone that it always does befiore one of these occurences. I could always
tell when the truck was getting ready to start "bucking" because the
engine would begine to whine a little bit higher in pitch, and sound
slightly metallic.  This time, upon pulling over to check it, I opened
the hood and it continued to make the whine, though it stopped
"missing."  Usually even this sound would die down except under load, so
I could never tell what it was.  Well, upon opening the hood, I could
hear that it was a very mechanical clackity sound coming from the
passenger side head or so.  I had heard this sound only once before and
was told that it was the dreaded "lifter noise."  I pulled up to the
next gas station, filled the tank while letting the oil settle, and then
checked the level.  It was right in the middle of the marks, perfect!  I
bought two quarts, didn't put any in, and took off.  Less than five
minutes later I heard the sound again and the bucking came back.  I
pulled over, put in a quart and let it sit for a minute.  Noise died
down.  Drove away, it hasn't bucked or made that sound since.  I think
my dipstick must be from a different model and be the wrong length.  I'm
guessing that there was some oil starvation and those are the valves in
the worst shape or something.  That side always "felt" like the side
where the problem was.  Anyway, until it happens again, I will assume
this was the problem (again!).  Hope that this helps someone, somewhere
when they come across some such weird, undiagnosable (at least to me and
those who tried to understand my explanation of symptoms!) problem.

Peace!

Michael