Re[2]: Most dangerous braking situation...

     I've noticed that owning different vehicles, (I was up to 12 last
     week, now only 9)  teaches one that the instinct has do to with
     what machine you're using. I used to have a '64 MGB when I was
     working as a mechanic in High School.  That car was great, and
     there was a specific method to get the shifter into reverse.  The
     trannies were particularly difficult to get into reverse due to
     the stregnth of the detent gate.  You basically had to get into
     neutral and 'slap' the shifter towards you, and back to get
     reverse.  Well, fast forward about 6 years later from getting rid
     of the MGB.  My bud and I go to look at one, he's thinking of
     buying.  I get in, sit down, look around, grab the shifter, and
     go through the pattern.   1, 2, 3, 4, and wham right into
     reverse, like I drove it yesterday.  It just happens.  When I
     change motorcycles, from street to dirt, the same thing applies.
     I just somehow remember to stand down with my LEFT foot on the
     dirtbike to use the kick starter.  My street bikes are the right
     foot.

        It just works.  Talk to pilots.  They don't end up trying to
     use rudder pedals in the car do they?  John L, do you end up
     doing this?  I certainly don't confuse the controls of Dad's C140
     with the clutch/brke/throttle.

        The old saying I used to hear from the Air Force Pilots I used
     to meet and work with:  "If you have to think...You're dead."
     Tom, you're right, it has to be instinctive.  like knowing how to
     fall.

        As luck would have it, with all the unfortunate inastances
     I've had, I broke one bone in my hand and one bone in my foot, on
     separate occasions, but both on BICYCLES, doing stupid stuff.
     When I rolled my Scout, I never even cut or gotten soil on my
     white button down dress shirt!  No blood.

        If you're upside down, shut the motor off, FIRST!

     -Joel