Re: travelall->GM engine | same mounts as Scout?

---- Begin included message ----
Tom Mandera wrote:

> Eric Hegstrom wrote:
> Now we're going to have a big discussion asking WHY you want to do a GM
> engine swap?  I know at least one Digester that pulled his IH motor, put
> a 350 SBC in, and then yanked it back out for an IH 304..

Well I must admit I hate to lose the original IHC engine but here are
the reasons ( not in any specific order) I have for considering a modern
GM engine instead of rebuilding my current IHC 304 (which has numerous
problems, but still is functional):

1- better gas mileage
2- more power
3- less weight
4- maintainability (better availability of parts )
5- I have also heard the 304 has a tendency to leak oil early
   into it's service life (I'm sure I'll hear otherwise now :)  ).
6- lower emissions

Mostly I would like to have a new modern (hi BHP; low HCs) engine.

The way I view it my options (in my CURRENT order of preference) are:

1- gm 350 and original 5spd tranny
1- gm 350 and gm auto tranny
3- rebuild the 304 (and mounts etc...)
4- put in an IHV 345

I would love to hear what people think. Being new to this mailing list
(but very old to them in general) I assume you guys have bantered the
swap/not-swap question around a lot.

> Also, the 5spd you have attached to that 304 is fairly rare..
>From my recolection of the service manual there were 2 different 5
speeds available on that model. I love the 5 speed (great granny gear
and O.D. - the best of both worlds).

If I really wanted to be practical I would go buy a (arggh) suburban or
something, but I have taken this beast up and down the coast and over
many a mountain and have grown quite attached to it.

Cheers,
-Eric

--
Eric Hegstrom                                   tele: 520-617-0072 x402
Sonoran Scanners, Inc.             email: ehegstrom@domain.elided