RE: For those of you without a place to go....

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, pharmer wrote:

> Well, now that you guys got Tom started, here's a few more ideas:
>
> 1.  I'd recommend the use of simple garden hose for its low cost and
>     flexibility.  Then you just get some of the couplers to connect it
>     to copper pipes, and the tank.

Kinda what I was thinking, just I didn't say it directly.:)  If you use
garden hose, get different sizes so you can see what kind of pressure you
will get from them.  Naturally, smaller diameter hoses will produce more
pressure, which is pretty much all you need.  Just get hose of a decent
quality so that it will be easily coiled and stored.

> 2.  I'd store water in two 5-gal plastic buckets.  They are very easy
<snip>
Another thing to use (if you have them) is old milk cans.  I don't know
how much water they hold, but you could heat the water directly in them
over a fire.

> 3.  To heat it I'd connect the hose to a copper wire coil wound around
>     my catalytic converter.  I'd wrap the cat & tubing with insulation
>     to really concentrate the heat.

That would probably work better than attaching to the manifold, though it
would be harder to run the plumbing every time....

> 4.  To adjust the temperature of the hot water I'd use a few different

This is where a second pump could come handy.  Use one pump to pump the
hot water, and the other to pump cold water, and adjust accordingly.

> 5.  To move the water I'd use a hand-powered pump downstream of the

Attach that for the people you don't like, and charge them to use the
shower.:)
There are pumps made that run off of 12V, we had 2 of them at work this
summer for watering out of a truckbed tank.

> 6.  I'd then use a small garden nozzel intended to mist plants for the
>     shower head.

The ultimate in jerry-rigging!  But it would work.*G*

Dan