Travelalls

Since every time I look under my Scout I find something else to fix.. I
welded the spring perch back on as well as I could as-is, and then moved
on to the Travelall..

Pulled the sunflower seeds out with a new "whip grabbing claw" thing.. a
parts retrieval tool.  Got 'em out.  Wiped down the valley/tappet cover.

I have an intake bolt in my pocket to buy new ones tomorrow.. d'oh..
should've counted 'em, but I'm going back outside soon..

I *STILL* cannot find where the oil dipstick is.  The oil pan is smooth
all around.. where should I locate the dipstick on a '72 392?

I looked some more under the hood and noticed the water pipes enter the
heads.. pre-IC 392!  (they enter the heads just below/behind the exhaust
manifolds)

My Travelall originally had AC, but it's been removed.  I was having a
hard time figuring out what I was missing.. I have the AC bracket, and
the AC condensor (now a trans cooler)..

Right next to the heater core there's two hoses coming out of the
firewall.  They're cut off or they end in a special AC fitting.  (The
heater hoses are also disconnected, so there's four hoses hangin'
there).  I'm closer to understanding what I'm missing of the AC (Mark
Korsten scavenged a compressor and condensor for me).  Of course, I don't
know where the heater hoses go to yet either..

Driver's front spring fixed mount (what's with me and springs?) has the
spring bolt half out of the spring (like I reported before).. tonight I
noticed a rivet or two missing from the outer piece of the bracket where
it attaches to the frame.  Move stuff to fix.

Since I received a new JEGS catalog today with fuel cells.. I went out to
measure my missing rear quarter gas tank.  I know there's a 16gal cell
that'll go in that space.. and maybe the 22gallon.

Rear window problem - I had hooked jumper cables to the Travelall last
week and couldn't get the rear window to go down yet..

I've finally figured out what's wrong.. well, sorta.

I mentioned before there's a 2x4 jammed upright in the center of the
tailgate (w/ the interior panel off).  I know why now.  My guess is the
rear window motor stopped working with the window half up (the two arms
off the gears suggest this).  The DPO probably got tired of the motor
half working, so they cut a 2x4, put the top up inside the tailgate
against the window bottom, and then beat the bottom of the 2x4 in so it
was vertical, supporting the window.

Ingenious redneck engineering.

Of course, the 2x4 is RIGHT in front of the motor, making it hard to
figure out how to attack this problem.

I need to search my archives on the rear T'all window motor stuff from
Ken and see what wires to trace and where to, and see if I can get the
motor to start working again... then I'll worry about getting the window
down to reattach it to the motor's arms.

It seems I'm always having fun... ;-)

Now to go work on the racer a little..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
(If I were to start pulling the floor out of my '72, I'd have worked on
all 4 "project Binders" tonight..)