On board air

>Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:47:57 PDT
>From: "Ken Hitchcox" <kenlipo@domain.elided>
>Subject: On board air

>I wanted to keep my a/c so I picked up a used Sanden a/c pump from a
>junkyard. It came out of a Dodge Ram 50. But I think the mounts are
>the same for all the Sandens.  I installed it in the bracket where the
>smog pump (air injection pump) was located......

I'm looking into doing this with my Scout.   A potential problem that was
mentioned to me was that  the York compressors have an oil reservoir in
them which provides lubrication when used as an air pump, but the Sanden
pumps didn't.  He said the Sanden was lubricated from the A/C charge
mixed with oil, and it would eventually burn up if used only for air.  Is
this true?  Is a Sanden pump lubricated when used for air?

I'm considering using a Sanden on the smog pump bracket for the A/C, and
the York in the stock location for the air pump.  This would require the
expense of all new A/C lines and the trouble of running them without
causing interference with any other components.  Is this really
necessary, or will a Sanden hold up to extended use as an air pump?

Thanks for your input.
Mike Ryan

1977 Scout II,  ported 345, automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears,
4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.