rad caps, ongoing upgrades, trac-lok/tru-track questions!

Hey!

I use a 7lb cap on mine.  I live right next to Lake Ontario, so I guess
the altitude thing isn't really important.

 I like the 7lb cap (it's one of those with a safety pressure release
lever on it...the best kind IMO) because it allows the entire system to
work properly with the recovery tank working.  With a 15lb cap like I
used before, the recovery tank almost never gets used. I've never had
problems with blowing over, and my truck has never even come close to
overheating, whether towing or not.  However, in case I ever get caught
with a boilover problem , I keep a 15 lb cap handy in my parts box with
the truck.  I've never had to use it....

Ok, here's what I'm up to with the Scout II....

Today, with some help, I removed the winch bumper off my donor '79 scout
II, as well as a great 4x4 inch rear square tube bumper off ANOTHER
Scout II.  The winch bumper needs some TLC, which includes some rust
removal, a BIT more reinforcing, a couple dents pounded out (this bumper
is pretty hefty...I couldn't even budge the one of the dents with a 5ft.
breaker bar) and the addition of a front receiver hitch.  The rear
bumper, although includes a receiver hitch, requires reinforcing (the PO
didn't weld in gussets on either side of the receiver...to me, this
isn't safe enough without them) and some new bracketry to bolt onto the
back of my truck.  The square tube is awesome looking, and is a prime
candidate for conversion into an air reservoir, as it is fully capped
and sealed (that part is done VERY well!!)

As the shop where I'm going to be doing the rest of the body work and
stuff is pretty busy (he's got 3 boats and two cars to fix yet) It will
be a few weeks before my truck gets in there....in the meantime, the
bumpers will get readied for installation.

While removing the bumpers, my friend and I took a good look at what it
will take to get the axles off the donor truck and slung under mine.
The easiest way seems to be to cut off the spring shackles and remove
the entire assembly, springs and stuff still attached.  The springs are
in great shape, so they will be stored away for a future spring-over
conversion I want to attempt for another vehicle (details to follow).

Question: the front axle on the donor truck has a Detroit Tru-Trac, and
the rear is a Track-lok....what is the best way to make sure both
devices are working properly??  There must be some kind of visual or
tactile inspection that can determine their condition....please help!!