Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 07:14  AM, Binder@domain.elided wrote:

Just a quick follow-up to my earlier posting:
I notice that when I turn the key, the ammeter pegs to the "D"ischarge side.

Later & thanks,

--Pete

Pete,

The ammeter would only show the current flowing through the ignition switch and the under dash relay, and one might assume that this means that the Delco solenoid is bad, or the starter is defective, causing a large amount of current being directed down to the S terminal on the Delco without accomplishing anything worthwhile.

This is certainly a possibility, but is not necessarily the cause of the effect. Running a jumper from the battery to the S terminal tells you right away where the problem is. If the starter works then, the cause is up in the ignition switch/relay area and would be cured with the Ford solenoid installation. If the starter still doesn't work, then the problem is the Delco solenoid or the starter. Your problem is not the neutral safety switch as indicated by the ammeter discharge.

John