Re: John Hersey, plus a way off-topic story

on 7/30/03 2:55 PM, Laura Freeman at freeman_73scout@domain.elided wrote:

> John H-
> His first novel, A Bell for Adano, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1945. The next
> year he wrote Hiroshima.
>
> Laura Freeman

Laura,

You've rung the bell with that one. Thanks for participating.

Brains, personality, Scout, who could expect anything more? Oh, she is very
attractive, but I've decided that it would be politically incorrect to
mention that again.

John Hofstetter

The story:

A widowed friend of mine lives in Anchorage and teaches at the U of A
Anchorage. Her dead husband was an Army Colonel who had served in all the
wars from WWII through Vietnam.

She met him on the pipeline construction project, and his job there was to
keep things moving for Bechtel. He could really take care of himself, and
expected her to be able to do the same.

So, her water heater in the garage goes out and a repair man comes to fix
it. He sees a picture of Bin Laden on the wall with about 200 bullet holes
in it. He asks who shot up the picture. She says that she did with a full
automatic Thompson.

He asks her other questions about her life. Downhill skier, expert canoeist,
fly fisherwoman, shooter of big game, catcher of near record King Salmon and
so on.

He asks, "Is there anything you can't do?"

She says, "I can't fly a plane, I only have one eye."

He says, "I thought you were too good to be true."