Re: [ihc] Different Axle Widths on T'All

The mounting points on the rear did not change until 74. I've swapped 73
axles onto (one of) my 66 1200A travelalls, and I have a 1010 travelall with
the rear end from a 71 1200B. They are a bolt on swap. The 74/75 fronts,
with disc, will also bolt on, but of course, brake system changes need to be
made to accommodate the discs.

In 74, the spring perches were moved outboard, and there were top and bottom
perches available because the 2wd were spring under, whereas the 4x4 were
left springover. It is most likely that you had an axle from a 100 or 150
model where somebody simply just changed the springs at the same time, or
some other similar scenario. The same frames were used from 61-73, and the
location of the spring hangers did not change during that time. The frames
were changed in 74, the engine moved back 6 inches, and the wheelbase
lengthened 1 inch. The body stayed the same, but the front clip was also
reworked somewhat.

On the 4x4 models 1110 and earlier, the rear spring perches had lift blocks
built into them. This was because the 2wd front axle is a dropped axle
design, and the 4x4 is a straight axle design. This gives a 2-3 inch
difference in height. Part of this is made up by using longer springs with a
different rear shackle mounting point in the 2wd trucks. I have seen varying
sizes of these factory spring perch lift blocks. I have not paid a lot of
attention to why, but I suspect that it was to compensate for the use of
different suspension ratings. IH custom built the springs right on the spot
when required, and this may have been part of their methodology in keeping
the frame level.

-Allan