Re: [ihc] Fuel Tank Question

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, John Hofstetter wrote:

> At 10:03 AM -0600 12/3/03, Edward Whitcomb wrote:
> >I'm new so forgive me if this has been asked already.  I have a 1973 Scout
> >II and I've just had the fuel tank cleaned and sealed.  It has several fuel
> >lines attached to it (6 I think) and I was wondering if they all need to be
> >connected when I reinstall it or if they could be plugged.  I'm assuming
> >they are for odor control or emissions, is that correct?

<snip>

> Those extra lines are for emission control. If you were to cut down
> on the number of attached lines, you could have the fuel line and a
> vent line. Or you could plug the vent line too, and put a vented cap
> on the filler pipe.  That's about as basic as you could get.
>
> Those extra lines go to places like the condenser inside the left
> rear quarter panel and the charcoal canister up in the engine
> compartment.
>
> The government doesn't recommend doing this, to say the least.

My experience has been if you close off the small top vent lines - you'll
(occasionally) suffer having to "burp" your gas tank (even with an empty
tank on level ground), while filling it.

Of course this always happens while you're in a hurry, and no matter how
slow the fill rate.

The top vent lines run to a fuel/air separator. If your plastic fuel/air
separator is non-functional - in a previous thread, someone posted a photo
of a copper tube version which would probably out last the typical 345.

If you don't mind the other people present at the gas station wondering
why you're rocking your Scout (to burp it) - it's good exercise. . .

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided