[ihc] Re: RHD Power Steering

Hi,
I have been following the RHD power steering thread as I own an Australian
RHD scout with manual steering. In Aus. we have the option of using a Toyota
steering box from a Landcruiser, but it doesn't give the same level of
assistance as the original Saginaw box. I have heard of someone using a box
from a Volvo car, but I don't know which one. However, in researching that I
found out that the Volvo's of the 70's and 80's had Saginaw steering boxes.
Don't know whether they are the same as the Scout box or not. I can't
imagine that a Volvo would need the same steering boost as a Scout. Another
possibility I have been pursuing is through the guys at the Steering Store
(www.BuySteering.com <http://www.BuySteering.com>) I got the message below
from them after my recent inquiry.
Dennis,
Thank you for visiting The Steering Store!
It's doubtful that we'd be able to help as we only deal with LHD vehicles,
but we can give it a try. We'd need the following info from you:
1. What is the casting number on the gear box case?

2. What is the rotation? In other words, if you turn the input shaft
clockwise, does the output shaft of the box turn clockwise or
counter-closewise (as you are looking at the end of the output shaft)?

3. What is the number of turns from lock to lock?
We can go from that point and see what we may have available.
I'm telling you this in case you want to pursue it further. I have just made
contact with a man who is offering a wrecked scout with a good engine, power
steering and airconditioning all salvageable. He only lives 900 miles away
and wants more than its worth, but it is a better option for me than
spending another 6 months trawling the net for the answer.
Happy hunting
Dennis
78 Traveler
46 K5