Re: [ihc] Postal 800 fan and gas tank

At 10:13 PM 2/18/04, Allan Ericson wrote:

>The fan Tom has on his vehicle draws a tremendous amount of power. Most of
>them don't pull anywhere near that much. On an 800, you just don't need that
>big of an electric fan. The one you want will be about 80 bucks at any parts
>store.
>
>63 amps is about one horsepower.

Which is about 10 % of the power a 152 makes !!! :-)

 You use the fan when you are delivering
>mail, and you shut it off when you hit the highway on the way home. If you
>want, you can hook up a controller for about 100 bucks that will turn it on
>and off by engine temperature.

A proper clutch fan will do this, and do it BETTER. A good clutch fan moves
a LOT more air than any electric fan does at idle, and does NOT use much
power at idle. NOR does it use much power at higher engine speeds.

>A stock fan setup with shroud will work if you have it already. Don't
>reinvent the wheel. The IH engine  will run at idle all day when it's 100
>degrees outside if the system is working. I know this because all of mine
>have done so, 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder.

I don't believe that the 4 cyl 80/800's ever HAD a fan shroud !! The V-8
800's did. I have a 4 cyl 80 I could look at WHEN THE SNOW IS GONE to
confirm this. A shroud (fabricated if necessary) together with the biggest
diameter clutch fan which will fit is absolutely the way to go for this
application !!

Greg