RE: [ihc] Tools and trannies

Nah, very necessary. Center of mass should be slightly aft of the tranny
center. The bellhousing is maybe 40#, t-case is what, 75#? Not quite evenly
counterbalanced. The real danger is the assymetry of the t-case wanting to
'roll' the whole works off the jack. It looks like running the tranny
mounting studs through a couple strategically located holes in the jack
adapter baseplate and nutting them up tight should do the trick. I can
always add a tab to one of the PTO cover bolts in a pinch.

BTW, the HF jack adapter comes set up with a spindle(goes into the
jack)that's tiny, for some cheesy floor jack they sell. I had to weld a
sleeve on the spindle to enlarge it for my Craftsman floor jack. Other than
that, it's fine. Keep in mind that I generally buy my HF stuff when its on
1/2 price sale(happens often), so I'm out about $25 for the thing. At
'regular' price I might be a little more critical ;) The tilt feature is
really what you're buying, but keep in mind that mechanism adds a good 6" to
the jack height. I have the SII *way* up in the air, and I'm not sure I
could get the tranny out past the frame rail on the jack. Fortunately I
don't need to, I'm going through this little exercise just to replace a
couple bucks worth of core plugs(and the rear main seal of course). :(

Last one I did by hand was the NP242 in a Jeep ZJ. Aluminum, relatively
light, still a pain in the keyster. Only dropped it once ;)

My right hand pinky finger still has some lingering nerve damage from having
a 727 dropped on it 8-9 years ago.

Jim