RE: [ihc] The truck that shouldn'a been bought. Or, B130 parts, anyone?

## >> A lot of older duallys (and maybe some current ones?) didn't
## >> come with a
## >> spare tire.  The idea is you take off one of the outer duals
## >> on the back and
## >> use it up front if one of the front tires goes flat on you.

worked for me.  though, in hindsight, checking to make sure i put the
*correct* rear tire on the front would have made a huge difference in tire
longevity.  never never never spin a directional tire backwards.  when
you're running directional tires, remember it's the *inside* right rear tire
(or outside left rear) that goes on the right front to replace a flat, not
the outside right rear tire.  it only took 100 miles to wear out an
otherwise brand new tire down past the point of no return.  if only i'd
looked at the GREAT BIG ARROW indicating direction of spin when i did the
tire swap, i'd still have six functional tires instead of only five.

## >> You might be able to fit duals under the dodge bed, Mac's
## >> B122 is a non
## >> dually bed and he runs duals on the bac.   (Mac, this is me
## >> forcing you to
## >> feel obligated to chime in here).

eyah, eyah, here i am.  okay?  Ryan's right.  my 1960 B122 has the shortbed
narrowbox (114" wheelbase, six foot stepside bed) and it's dualled.  the
outer wheels stick out entirely on each side past the fenders.  but when i
spoke to the DOT highway patrol officer and got it inspected, he told me
that the mudflaps i'd hung behind the wheels under the fenders made it
legal, so that's how i left it.  once he told me that as long as the flaps
cover the full width of the tires that it's legal within the narrow confines
of CA law, i felt no compulsion whatsoever to do anything else to cover the
wheels.

to be honest, i really would have liked to install the factory-original
fender extensions from the donor truck's bed...  but i couldn't get them off
without mangling them (wasn't enough to bolt them to the bed, oh no,
somebody had to WELD them on!), so i left them on it when it got scrapped.
those were about the only part of that donor truck's body that were
salvageable, the rest was basically dented and rusted out junk.  but those
fender extensions were in almost *perfect* condition.  <sigh>

there, you happy now, Ryan?  +)

## >> Don't let yourself get too frustrated!  When you get it
## >> finished it'll all
## >> seem worth it.

i agree.  don't let go of this truck.  the B series is the best of them all.

my nickel and the usual grain of salt...

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.