[ihc] RE: ihc-digest V7 #515

Yeah, a couple of my u-bolt ends are bent... I'll be doing some cutting and
converting when it comes time to rebuild my suspension.

> field repair
> easier due to more common to other make hardware.  Benz Spring was
> instrumental in this www.benzspring.com  .

That's a cool site; thanks. It's always nice to see a parts distributor that
still has "International" listed in it's catalogue.

> I did do the shackle flip mentioned to the rear.  I would
> recommend this to
> anyone who wants to wheel a full-size and keep thier ride intact, not to

You mean as opposed to the alternative of adding leaves or a heavier spring
pack? Wouldn't simply adding taller blocks in back keep the ride intact as
well?

> It also kept the water out.  I just got done draining all the
> fluids in the
> truck after our trip, and there was absolutely no water in the front axle,
> not in the wheel bearings, nothing.  The transfer case had some
> water in it,
> but not much, I have yet to figure out that one.
>
> We negotiated some pretty tight stuff on the OBDR.  I didn't see
> a need for
> anything other than the closed knuckle, and frankly, I think the closed
> knuckle will keep you from breaking parts that otherwise you would easily
> destroy with the increased turning radius of an open knuckle axle.  The
> military stuck with closed knuckle designs long after the rest of
> the world
> abandoned them.....  you can still see closed knuckle axles on many heavy
> duty and extreme condition all wheel drive machines today, they are
> evidentally stronger, and also less prone to contamination from the
> elements.

I'm pretty much sold on keeping the closed setup. I've had the truck for 20
years, and the steering radius only bothers me occasionally.

> I have been here for a long time, I just don't say much.
>
> Keep on Binderin',
>
> John

Thanks for speaking up and answering my questions, John. I'll get some
pictures posted of my own T'All... *soon* (don't ask my kids what I mean by
that - they've soured on that word...) ~John A.
---