[ihc] RE: Alternating

>Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:31:06 -0700
>From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [ihc] Mean Green and some considerable rambling

>Mr. Hernandez also told me to get rid of the resistance wire to the
>field as that old technology wasn't relevant to modern electrical
>systems. In the 1970's it was believed that  batteries should be
>charged at about 13.6 volts. All modern 12 volt systems are set to
>charge at about 14.4 volts and batteries do fine at that voltage and
>the rest of the electrical system is made to function at that voltage.

>I did that, and among other things, I've gotten exceptional battery
>life and brighter lights. As you are probably aware, some folks on the
>BB, people that I respect by the way, insist on adding resistance to
>any replacement for the original field wire. Most often by adding an
>idiot light into the circuit.

Here's some good info on alternator wiring:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/remotevoltagesensing.shtml

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

With the voltage sensing connected to an appropriate location, it doesn't
appear that running an idiot light in the ignition switched lead would
reduce charging voltage. Thoughts?

Jim