[ihc] Rhino revisited

David,
      Having had Rhino in my '72 *gulp* Chev Suburban, the Rhino guys will
be first to tell you that they don't like putting Rhino on anything other
than steel or factory paint.  My truck, I spent two weeks with wire wheels
cleaning the entire inside of the tub of the truck to remove ALL the rust
until the entire inside looked like a mirror (albeit with many holes, some
as large as 1 inch).  When I finally got it over to them, they said: "Hey
that looks great!  It'll be easy to see where we shoot the sand now".
Yeah, they sand blast the surface first, unless it's FACTORY applied paint
in good condition.  You'd probably be better off with Rhino first, THEN
dynamat, then some floor coverings like carpet or the like.  I had my Sub's
tub Rhino'd to fill the holes, curve out the edges of the tub so that water
and debris didn't catch in the corners and cover up all the little pepper
rust holes in the floor.  When I/he got done, I had a plastic lined bathtub
on wheels, with almost 1" of Rhino in the corners of the cab to round out
the corners of the floor.  Tested on several occasions, I opened the doors
and the water would just drain right out, which is the first reason I opted
for Rhino.  The second being the heat and sound deadening effect.  I think
you'll be quite pleased with the effects of Rhino, aside from the
smell/vapors for the first day or two.  Leave the windows open to air out,
else you'll get a bit of a headache while driving.

      I don't have actual numbers on the temp drop or the noise
attenuation, but it was significant.  And the whole Rhino bill was so low,
that the guy said that he could never do another one that cheap...he lost
money.  I had the whole tub of the Sub Rhino'd, minus the back deck which
was Marine Plywood.  And I had the bottom 6" of the doors done, where your
feet commonly kick the door to hold it open.  I think I have pictures
somewhere, of the job before and after, but they're buried along with the
receipts and memories of the truck.  Yeah, it's gone now, about 8 years.

-JoelB