Re: [ihc] Generator selection

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:10:24 -0700 (PDT), David Raistrick
<keen@domain.elided> wrote:

> We'll be out probably until late in the week.  Since the need was there I
> just got what was available (from out of town), which is a 5kw gasoline.
> Gives me 20 amps of 220 to work with.

You have my sympathies.  16+ hours about killed me.  At least you got
the generator hooked up.

> As far as gas vs propane...hard call.  You'll get more kw/h out of x
> amount of gas then you will propane...You have to store more propane then
> you would gas.  And gas is easier to find/fill often times.

We've already got a big propane tank, so that's why I liked that idea.
 I was hoping to tap into that line for the generator.  Lots and lots
of places around here sell propane in the grill-size canisters, so
that's an option, too.

> Diesel will get you more power then gas, though, for the same x...but
> consumer grade diesel units are probably harder to find.  (I usually keep
> more diesel around then gas, since the tractor's diesel..)

Diesel's easy enough to get (I live near both US1 and I-95) but I have
no other use for it.  Hence my leaning towards gasoline or propane.

Dave