Re: [ihc] ignition coil condenser

On Sep 9, 2004, at 6:02 PM, Allan Ericson wrote:

Adding the condenser "slows down" the rate of change, but since the points
have to be open for it to affect the circuit, it only happens when they
open. In a capacitive circuit, you can calculate the rate of charge/change
by multiplying capacitance (in farads) times resistance (in ohms) to get the
amount of time (in seconds) to reach 63% of total voltage applied. The
condenser (capacitor) needs to be barely large enough to take enough time to
"shape" the discharging signal in a manner that allows it to transfer
through the coil.
I hope you're paying attention, Thomas. There's a formula that you never know when you might need. <vbg> Actually, I enjoy seeing formulas like that that kind of tie things together that otherwise seem unrelated. When I learned derivatives in Calculus, the laws of motion suddenly made sense in regard to how they related to each other.

By the way, on the yahoo site that you sent out, there was only one photo and it was of an old GMC version of the Blazer. I'd like to see the others, please.

Nice to hear from you,

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline