Re: [ihc] RE: Parking lots? Yeah, right...

Jim Grammer wrote:
Have you ever actually *driven* something like a crew cab dually?

And speaking of 'exacerbate', somehow real estate developers(in CA
anyway)have convinced city/county planners that 2 lines 8-9' apart
constitute a parking space for purposes of fulfilling the space count
required by planning standards. This in the face of laws that pretty much
nationwide allow vehicles to be 102" wide.

You should see how many parking spaces I take up with my Travelall pulling
an 18' flatbed ;P
No, you should see how many spots I consume with my Travelette and just the 16' flatbed. :D

I find 4 spots in a "square" out in the far end of the lot, and have to curl the combo up as much as I can, and it still sticks out into both aisles.

--

As someone that drives a crew-cab long-box (but SRW) pretty frequently, I can attest that no one seems to keep these big things in mind when building roads, drivethroughs, parking lots..

Most parking lots require a 3-point turn to get into a spot - drive past it first, then back up with the wheel turned to get yourself halfway straight, then pull in - that's assuming there's enough room to do this.

I can also confirm that even Starbucks has forgotten those of us in our luxo-multi-purpose 30 year old long-box Travelettes.. after pulling up to the window to get a beverage, I simply CAN NOT make the necessary right turn away from the window.

My truck just won't bend that way.

I have to drive a bit, then back up - hopefully the idiot behind me realizes this before my step bumper relocates their engine back a foot - before I can exit the drive-through and parking lot.

Ugh.

No wonder I drive the Scouts a little more often.

Even my Travelall feels spry and nimble at 119" WB.

21' of pickup can be a hassle.. but hauling 5 adults, a full ton of tools and parts, and a loaded car trailer down the highway with ease makes it worth it.

-Tom