[ihc] re: Licensing

John Hofstetter wrote:
On Sep 28, 2004, at 11:00 PM, Ryan Moore wrote:

It cost me just around $20 to register the diesel in GA for its first
Because I have a Terra rather than a Traveler, I have to pay for a commercial license. Now, that's way more than $20! Way more.
Well, if we're bragging..

I received a notification from my County Environmental Department. It seems someone filed an anonymous complaint, claiming I have "junk" vehicles on my property (How DARE they!).

I just resolved that complaint.

In order to be "junk", a vehicle must be non-op *AND* unlicensed.

Two years ago, Montana implemented a new "permanent" registration option.

Yes, I spent about $1000 at "DMV" this month registering vehicles.

BUT.. the majority of my collection now sports permanent license plates that NEVER EVER expire.

The cost is $105 per Scout, and $135 or so per pickup, due to the "commercial / truck GVW" tax.

My car trailer is also permanently registered, too.

Vanity plates cost a little more.

So I now have a permanently registered body tub lying in the dirt. I also have another permanently licensed body tub on a frame lying in the dirt, and a permanently licensed '74 IH pickup w/o front clip or engine, too.

None of which are "junk" since they're licensed.

..and I'll never pay $35/yr again to keep them licensed. I won't have to wait in line again. I won't have to deal with another "junk vehicle" complaint this time next year because someone hopes I forgot to renew my registration and catch me..

I'm done.

Of the collection..

My '72,'77 ("Tigger"), and '77 ("Little Devil") Scout IIs are permanently tagged.

John Landry's old parts Traveler is permanently tagged.

The Midas tub in the dirt? Permanent.

My two '74 pickups (T'ette and single-cab) are permanently tagged.

My wife's 800 is permanent. Her Toyota mini-truck? Permanent.

The only thing that isn't permanently registered is my Travelall, and I'll probably go ahead and license it, too.

Oh, the old Chevy Luv still needs done, and my grandpa's '74 GMC that's now mine needs licensed.. but it's not even west of the Mississippi yet, so no rush.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT