Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Leaking Brake fluid

Hi all.
I had my Brake Master Cylinder overhauled today. Fluid had been dripping off
the bottom of the servo.
What caused the leak?
 Well the last fitter to repair that master cylinder must have lost one of the
inserts in the holes (reservoir to cylinder). My new Garage, who I like a lot,
found only three inserts. Hence the Reservoir had been overtightened on one
corner, and the resulting slight tilt caused fluid to run directly out of the
reservoir under the reservoir to cylinder seal, and around the body of the
cylinder to the servo.
All fixed now.
Its almost impossible to trust the trade to do things properly. If only there
was an easy and quick way to bleed brakes I would have done the first repair
myself, and searched and searched until I found the dropped insert.
But I have not worked out how to bleed brakes on ones own without messing
about at all four wheels bleed nipples, and trying to watch for bubbles and
pressure the systems at the same time without upsetting the PDWA switch, and
spilling brake fluid on the floor.
Peter H