Re: 75 driveshaft balancing again

Poor Jess.

He's tried so hard over the past two years to achieve a smooth driveshaft/clutch assembly in his 75.

Well Jess - a year ago I could snicker at you but I can't do that anymore.  I had a spare clutch assembly machined and relined with carbon/kevlar clutch disc, and since I didn't know if that assembly was ever balanced after it was taken apart by its previous owner, I told the clutch shop to balance the whole assembly.

I fired the car up after about 8 hours of work on my back and to my chagrin, there's a noticable hum from the rear of the car starting at 3,000rpm and up.  There's the usual shimmy right off tickover but since I never drive at 1,200 rpm, I don't worry about that.

My driveshaft was balanced individually before, and upon installation three years ago, the car's drivetrain had been as smooth as a BMW's or the new Lexus IS 300 (comparison made because I went to drive then recently).  Now, unfortunately, it's back to its old self.  I'm disappointed, but upon casual conversation with the clutch shop, they didn't know that the clutch assembly is at the other end of a driveshaft rotating at engine speed.  My guess is they didn't dynamically balance it and
probably just used one of those turntable thingies to balance it statically.

Bummer.

Makes me glad I own a 164 too (and you know what, it's not that hard to correctly R&R the 24-valve timing belt!)

Nizam
88 75 3.0V6
94 164 Super 3.0V6 24v
97 155V6 2.5