Spax vs Koni-Spax Track record....

Hello all,
I was waiting in the wings to see where the submissions concerning Spax
would go before I posted. I have been involved in the VW/Audi scene for the
last 10 or so years,In there heyday (mid-90's) Spax had about four North
American distributors dealing solely with the VW tuning aftermarket. Massive
failure rates, and lack of factory warranty support made all these
distribtors end up dropping Spax. Some lost so much money in warranty claims
that they almost went bankrupt... I personally had a set on a fully built
1991 GTI 16v. I absolutley loved them, the ride, the adjustability, on VW's
the rear shocks were fully threaded so you could adjust ride height... Only
one problem i had a failure of the front struts within two weeks of
installing them. I got my money back, and put my Bilstein Sports back on the
car and all was well. In the last couple years Spax has had there own money
problems and in now under new ownership. But the bottom line is the company
knew there was a problem originally, and did not really do anything to stand
behind there product (back then). I understand that today with the new
owners they have revamped the product, and are offering full factory
support. I was so impressed with the two weeks  I had on my GTI that I am
willing to try them again. By the way, they are British made so watch for
rust hehehe......

Dennis Thomason
Internet Sales Manager
Greenbrier Volkswagen