history and heritage

In a message dated 01/09/2002 11:02:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> quite frankly I don't
> really care about what has happened in the world before my birth.

I am really astonished to hear this from Luca, an Italian.  So many Italians
I know are much much more concerned with what happened before they were born
(often a long time before) than anything going on now, other than dinner.
Maybe he is unique or maybe I just know older people with older attitudes?
Look around in Italy: the houses are old, there is very little modern art but
a giant and revered cultural heritage from hundreds of years ago, and there
is much less interest as I see it in anything new and durable than in
anything old; much interest in the new seems to be channeled into things that
are perishable, such as fashion, food, even auto and product design.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

Charlie
LA, CA, USA