Re: mystery cams

At 08:38 PM 2/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:17:25 -0600
>From: "James Tyson" <jftyson@domain.elided>
>Subject: mystery cams
>
>I have a set of aftermarket billet cams that I can't identify-the only ID is
>the number"306" stamped onto the back of each cam.They appear to be
>10.6-10.7mm.Help-does anyone know the manufacturer/valve clearances/valve
>timing?
I'm behind in digest reading.  I have a set of cams with the 306 stamped on
back.  I purchased them from International Auto parts in the early 80s,
they came with 11mm lift, 300 degrees duration to be set with 110 degree
lobe centers so their timing was 40 80 80 40.  Valve lash was to be set at
.014 intake and exhaust.  They were called the "C2650 Carbureted
Performance".  Actually they still sell that cam today, called the "92650
Carbureted Performance", but now specify 102 lobe centers.  I have a early
90's catalog with that cam, still called a c2650, and at that time
specifying 105 intake and 102 exhaust lobe centers.

I ran them with Webers at 102 lobe centers so their timing is not 40-80 80
40, but 48 72 72 48.  Eventually, I split the pair up when I got a set of
10548 euro cams, and used the 306 on the intake side with the euro on the
exhaust side, both with 102 lobe centers.  The two engines run fine and get
21-22 mpg.  Actually, one of those engines lost a rod bearing last year and
is about to be rebuilt.  When I rebuild that 1750, I'll replace the Webers
with Spica and use a T255 pump from a 73 2000, which Ingram thought would
provide sufficient gas in a 1750 application to run the long duration 306 cam.

//kct, Powell, TN