Re: Re: SAlfAB content?

>I believe the 164, the SAAB 9000, and the Peugeot 406 are all the same
>platform.  I think an earlier Euro-only Alfa (the 156?) was also built
>on this platform.

Sort of, no and no. This has been covered many times on the digest before,
so I won't go into much detail, but:

The four "Type 4" cars that are related (to some extent) are the Saab 9000,
Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema, and Alfa 164.

Of these the closest relations are the Croma and Thema (basically hatchback
and 4 door versions of the same car, apart from trim and engine variations),
164 has significantly different styling, but is very similar under the skin
to the other Italians (body structure, suspension, gearbox, even things like
seat tracks look the same), apart from (mostly) using Alfa Romeo origin
engines. The 9000 I understand has some similar internal structural panels
to the Italian cars (and I've been told that the doors are similar enough to
fit the Croma/Thema), but has different exterior bodywork, different
suspension, and major mechanical parts are definitely Saab.

AFAIK the Alfa 155 (not 156) is based on the Fiat Tipo platform, which is
newer (and smaller) than the Type 4 cars.

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo