cleaning spilled soda

Someone wrote about spilling soda on the console and it gumming up the
window switches.  I had the same thing happen(twice!) so I gently pried the
switch assembly out and took it apart carefully, then used a commercial
cleaner(like 409) to clean everything really well, re-assembled it and it
works like new!  I think it would be a good idea to do this once a year or
so just to keep everything clean and in good working order.  Do concours
judges check for this?

Bill Mitchell
'95 540i/6 sharked, BL/SSed