Re: [5series] Old v. New

Yes and no. I had to buy a rear quater window for the 944T. Had to be a
944T window. Not the same as the 944, not the same as the 924. WHY? It
seems like some parts are changed because thats how they did it. don't
confuse engineering, with manufacturability.

Some thing Porsche has done to contain costs are just dandy. Common head
lamp assemblies are fine with me. Water cooling allows tighter mechanical
tolerancing, better combustion, less polution and more HP. Other design
aspects seem to be driven by the bean counters and marketing, not the
engineers.

I read that the Ferrari F1 (paddle shifters) were set up for maximum noise,
i.e. they shifted at too high rpm, rather than "optimal" (as determined by
lap times). I absolutely hate that. Form follows function.

The 85 535 got all of 185 HP out of 3.5 l. sure it'll go 1/2 a million
miles. Wanna go farther? Get a 3l Mercedes diesel (no turbo) with 80HP ( I
had one), and go several million miles. Slowly.

Regards,

Doug "off the brakes - on the gas" Dykaar
(Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, eh)
85 535i

     Bilstein sports, H&R springs, Dinan sway bars, 750I bushing and chip
     225/50-15 Comp T/As on 7" rims
86 951

     8.5 and 10x17, w/ 255/40 street g-force, 275/40 street TAs
     Cup Bilsteins/springs, Fabcar A-arms, 30 mm/24 mm Andial sway bars,
     C2 turbo (red) calipers with Al hats and Coleman (NASCAR) rotors, Holbert Cool brake,
     Recaro SRD, Sabelt, Milledge chips and camber plates - I'm blindingly fast, but still slow, if you know what I mean!

Charles Eaton-Hennah <charles.hennah@domain.elided> on 05/11/99 09:27:45 AM

Please respond to Charles Eaton-Hennah <charles.hennah@domain.elided>