RE: [5series] Old v. New

The E28 isn't bad. With a baby seat (or two) in the back, another adult is
squished in the rear. The front seats are comfy. It handles nice, much
better w/ the mods, but way softer than the cup suspension. The E28 5 was
never raced so there's no parts bin to raid like the porsche. Suspension
isn't adjustible, but camber plates are available. I got -3/4 degree just
taking up the available slop. The standard rework of the suspension
(control arms and bushings) solves the shimmy problem. The 8.6:1
compression ratio is the same as the 951, so its screaming for a turbo.
Dinan did them at the time, so if you can find one, they should be quick.
High compression pistons are around too.

The upside is the stock motor should go for 300,000 miles. Power is 185 HP,
stock, 200 w/ Dinan chip, but the real difference is much stronger
midrange, and premium gas only.

Lose the TRX wheels.

The wheel wells won't take big tires ( i had to grind the fender lips to
fit the 225s, but I hear a 255/40-17 (just happen to have some off the
front of the 951) will fit if you notch and weld the swing-arm, and don't
forget the leftover 951 4-piston calipers, and disks...

Lose the TRX wheels.

I've got some surface rust, but paint is a wear item on a non-galvanized
car, and Bronzit was a popular color, so sheet metal can be swapped
(although I've yet to attempt.

If money was less of an object, an M3 4-door may be close on interior
volume, and 240 HP.

OK, lose the 968, get a 535 AND a 951. See how helpful a total stranger on
the web can be? I tell my wife its cheaper than a mistress, and if I get
just a few more mods into the 5 we can all go to track events in one car!

Regards,

Doug "off the brakes - on the gas" Dykaar
(Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, eh)
85 535i

     Bilstein sports, H&R springs, Dinan sway bars, 750I bushing and chip
     225/50-15 Comp T/As on 7" rims
86 951

     8.5 and 10x17, w/ 255/40 street g-force, 275/40 street TAs
     Cup Bilsteins/springs, Fabcar A-arms, 30 mm/24 mm Andial sway bars,
     C2 turbo (red) calipers with Al hats and Coleman (NASCAR) rotors, Holbert Cool brake,
     Recaro SRD, Sabelt, Milledge chips and camber plates - I'm blindingly fast, but still slow, if you know what I mean!

"Smith, Craig" <craigs@domain.elided> on 10/11/99 01:22:21 PM