cams

> It's about time for me to decide on a cam for the 392 I'm rebuilding.
>Later,
>Curt

Curt,
  	It seems we’re in the same boat again. I sent a post regarding the same
subject recently.  Since my post, I received the Summit catalog and found
some useful information in it regarding cam selection.  If you have the
catalog, check out page 40.  About the Comp Cam 260H Series, it says “We
recommend it for vans, pickups, tow vehicles, and family cars.”  For the 268H
Series, it says “This is a high performance cam that appreciates headers and
performance manifolds.  If you’re doing heavy towing with a big block, this
is the cam you want.  Street machines and four wheelers will like the power
too.”
     	Two local hard-core panel smashers recommended the Comp Cam 268H
Series.  They both run this cam, one in a 345 and the other in a 392.  They
said the only thing they did to their engines was grind the intake, heads,
and headers to match the gaskets for better flow (no porting or polishing).
 Comp Cam gave me a price of $374 for the kit that includes the cam, lifters,
springs, retainers, etc..

	Have you read Willie Worthy’s 392 rebuild?  I think I found it at
www.off-road.com/~jweed/tech_tip.htm. (If that’s not it, let me know and I’ll
look it up.)
He used the Schneider Racing Cam 131-H grind.  Super Scout says it “increases
low and mid-range torque. From 1500 to 4500 RPM.”  There kit price was $338.

	Right now, I tend to favor the Comp Cam 268H series or the Schneider 131-H.
 I plan on using headers and gasket-matching my ports, so I should be able to
use the hotter cams.  It appears the 268H might be a little higher
performance cam than the 131-H, but I’m not sure.  Maybe the Schneider 272-H
is a closer match to the Comp Cam 268H?
Does anyone know?

Confused but curious,

Mike