Re: Leaks

When my Scout was about 5 years old, I began to get water dripping from
under the dash when driving in the rain.  After several years of looking,
I finally pulled the windshield glass out completely and found that rust
had formed between the windshield frame and the seal, providing a path
for water to be driven through.  Cleaning the frame and applying sealer
stopped the leaks, but the later installation of a fiberglass windshield
frame permanently eliminated the problem.

I've never experienced any problems with the seal between the bottom of
the windshield frame and the cowl, but I've heard that this can cause
problems too.

For leaks at the drip rail, I found that sealing the inside of the seam
at the rear corners  helped keep water from seeping to the inside.  I
also drilled a 1/16" hole through the bottom of the drip rail at the rear
corners so it won't stand full of water if the Scout is setting with the
rear lower than the front to help prevent leaks.

My door and liftgate seals were cut when new, but by making sure the ends
butted together, I've never had significant leakage there.  Trying to
route radio antenna coax cables around the seals has proven to be more of
a problem for leakage.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts