Re: [ihc] Reverse Polarity (coil "Q")

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] Reverse Polarity (coil "Q")

<snip>
> So exactly how do you have the coil wired?  Is this a prestolite points or
> electronic dizzy?  If electronic, I can compare to mine...

---I have that right. Prestolite Dizzy, red wire and key start to (+) and
brown wire to (-)... have to get a condensor on there just to look original,
I don't notice any static from the radio and I also have an amp.

<snip>
> Here's the kicker, from reading your post it sounds like it used to run
fine
> set up the way it is and it suddenly got worse.... sounds like that shows
> the coil must be wired correctly...

---That is correct, well half of it. It did run fine before, well sort of,
it was a Holley HEI before and original wiring. All that is removed and I
have the Prestolite which was a trade off for my Holley with Colin G to
design a new electronic ignition with. The Prestolite is fine, but I am
considering trying out my stator from my* Prestolite. No need to worry, I
think I have it solved and I will get into that after going through your
response... in another post :-D

<snip>
> > ... cranked normally for a while, had spark
> > in rhythm on all 8 plugs. What gives? Any insight as to what else could
> > cause reverse polarity besides the coil? I will check it, but I can't
see
> > how I go wrong with a brown and red wire at the coil and a red wire for
> key
> > switch?
>

> Points?  I seem to remember three wires from the module for the
> electronic...

---The Holley points dizzy only has one wire, I am considering that
conversion if I don't have it solved. Not sure how many wires the Prestolite
points dizzy has, but the Prestolite internal module dizzy has three, red,
brown and white.

<snip>
> possible your coil is labeled incorrectly?  Trace back where the wires are
> going, to be sure that they aren't colored wrong.  That or just put a
> voltmeter on them to check to see what they are...

---All my wires are colored correctly, unless they are soldered back onto
the board which I hadn't asked, but I believe Colin G. would have told me he
did so.

<snip>
> I'm sure you thought of most if not all of this stuff already, just
spouting
> off ideas in an attempt to find a solution...

---That is exactly* what I was asking for, but more along the lines of what
else could cause the reversed polarity... other than the coil being hooked
up wrong. You can either call me a person with writer's run on, or P-Fiction
`cause sometimes I say so too much and ramble and sometimes I say it all,
but it is just not in order... lol.

<snip>
> In order to, uh, verify you remember the pencil test correctly, why don't
> you share the process with the group?  (ok, ok, I have no recollection of
> the event in question and don't know what you mean by "the pencil test"
> other than that it probobly has something to do with a pencil.

---Check into your service manual that is in the back of your Scout.  ;-)
-Simply said, the pencil test requires a graphite pencil. You pull the plug
wire, hold the terminal 1/2" from the plug and insert the pencil lead
between the two. If the spark is hitting the coil side of the high tension
wire, then the polarity is reversed, if the spark is hitting the spark plug
side, the polarity is correct. It is a very interesting bit under Coils and
Condensers, you ought to read it. CTS-2313 (`78-`79-`80 Scout II XLC Series)
| Volume 1 | CTS-2013-E | Page 5 | 2nd paragraph (Coil Polarity)

---Oh yeah, speaking of manuals. From the CTS number you gave earlier, I
found three manuals on one of the sites. Can't remember if it was Binder
Books or SSS, but I will say it was SSS's site. One does contain info on
Scouts and Medium duty trucks. They were D series, S series and another. The
last was a $137 manual IIRC. Just do a google search for the CTS number
(CTS-2300 was it?)

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)