Re: [ihc] Reverse Polarity (coil "Q")

----- Original Message -----
From: "T.R.E.Jr." <T_R_E_Jr@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "IHC-Digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 22:56
Subject: Re: [ihc] Reverse Polarity (coil "Q")

To avoid confusion, you mean holley gold box right?  If you had a Holley HEI
(uses HEI as a specific name) like the GM trucks have I doubt you'd have
removed it for a prestolite... the scout conversions for such module go for
$$$.  The HEI is the one with the coil inside the cap.

> <snip>
> > > ... cranked normally for a while, had spark
> > > in rhythm on all 8 plugs. What gives? Any insight as to what else
could
> > > cause reverse polarity besides the coil? I will check it, but I can't
> see
> > > how I go wrong with a brown and red wire at the coil and a red wire
for
> > key
> > > switch?
> >

> > Points?  I seem to remember three wires from the module for the
> > electronic...
>
> ---The Holley points dizzy only has one wire, I am considering that
> conversion if I don't have it solved. Not sure how many wires the
Prestolite
> points dizzy has, but the Prestolite internal module dizzy has three, red,
> brown and white.
>

> <snip>
> > possible your coil is labeled incorrectly?  Trace back where the wires
are
> > going, to be sure that they aren't colored wrong.  That or just put a
> > voltmeter on them to check to see what they are...
>
> ---All my wires are colored correctly, unless they are soldered back onto
> the board which I hadn't asked, but I believe Colin G. would have told me
he
> did so.
>

> <snip>
> > I'm sure you thought of most if not all of this stuff already, just
> spouting
> > off ideas in an attempt to find a solution...
>
> ---That is exactly* what I was asking for, but more along the lines of
what
> else could cause the reversed polarity... other than the coil being hooked
> up wrong. You can either call me a person with writer's run on, or
P-Fiction
> `cause sometimes I say so too much and ramble and sometimes I say it all,
> but it is just not in order... lol.

Is your white wire hooked up to the correct place?

> <snip>
>
> ---Check into your service manual that is in the back of your Scout.  ;-)
> -Simply said, the pencil test requires a graphite pencil. You pull the
plug
> wire, hold the terminal 1/2" from the plug and insert the pencil lead
> between the two. If the spark is hitting the coil side of the high tension
> wire, then the polarity is reversed, if the spark is hitting the spark
plug
> side, the polarity is correct. It is a very interesting bit under Coils
and
> Condensers, you ought to read it. CTS-2313 (`78-`79-`80 Scout II XLC
Series)
> | Volume 1 | CTS-2013-E | Page 5 | 2nd paragraph (Coil Polarity)

interesting...

> ---Oh yeah, speaking of manuals. From the CTS number you gave earlier, I
> found three manuals on one of the sites. Can't remember if it was Binder
> Books or SSS, but I will say it was SSS's site. One does contain info on
> Scouts and Medium duty trucks. They were D series, S series and another.
The
> last was a $137 manual IIRC. Just do a google search for the CTS number
> (CTS-2300 was it?)
>
> ---Thank you,
> -T.R.E.Jr.
> -`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
> -`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
> -`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
> -`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)

Find anything that mentions years?  From the Binder Books description it
seems a little vauge about what is covered.

-Ryan